We have listed below the cafes that we like but this is not a comprehensive list!
- 56 St James, 56 St James’ Street, E17 7PE
The first Hipster cafe to arrive in the Stow – a blackboard wall and graffiti art. Serving flat whites and espressos using Nude Coffee, toasted sandwiches, salads and cakes and cocktails on Friday nights!
- Buhler + Co, 8 Chingford Road, E17 4PJ
Stylish vegetarian venue. Climpson’s coffee, teas, beers and wine; homemade cakes and muffins. Inventive brunch and evening menu of weekly changing baked eggs, quinoa cakes, soba noodles, Indian veggie fry-up etc. Sun-trap back garden.
- Coffee Station Walthamstow Central station (Liverpool Street platform) Independent Italian coffee kiosk. Cheery staff delivering great coffee as you wait for your train on a miserable Monday morning!
- Copperfield Cafe, 212 High Street, Walthamstow, E17 7JH
Traditional East End cafe serving breakfast fry-ups, salads, huge jacket potatoes, homemade pies and daily specials, and great salt beef. Consistent FSA hygiene rating 5.
- Deja Vu, 75a High Street, E17 7DB
Bulgarian cafe with a hidden back garden full of sofas for the smokers. Serve lovely lattes and toasties. Great people-watching on the market in the summer. Deja Vu Bakery nearby is has tasty, cheap savoury and sweet pastries and snacks and opposite the Deja Vu Grill has a warm, if sometimes smokey, back garden.
- Golden Rustic Deli, 228 Hoe Street, E17 3AY
Romanian deli-shop, bakery and tiny cafe. Strudel, rum cakes, bread, sausage rolls and pretzels all freshly baked in the glass-fronted bakery on site. They also serve intriguing daily specials for those brave enough to ask.
- Hornbeam Cafe, 458 Hoe Street, Walthamstow, E17 9AH
Vegan café and community venue, serving organic and fairtrade food, coffee and cakes. Vegetables and fruits are locally-grown (where possible) from OrganicLea. Licensed – organic vegan wines, beers and cider. They also sell home-made sourdough bread and local honey, jams & chutneys. Pop-ups including Open Mic nights, poetry nights & supperclubs.
- Indulgence, 142 Hoe Street,Walthamstow,E17 4QR
Modern café serving Massis Tea, coffees, cakes, homemade soups, club sandwiches, snacks and lunches in a relaxed environment. Quiet terraced garden.
- Le Delice, Big cappuccinos, big fry-ups (halal), daily specials and Algerian tagines, fresh juices, ice creams and pizzas. Cakes, patisseries and also special occasion cakes made to order. New Italian Bakery at the back due selling fantastic Sardinian bread.
- L’ Hirondelle, 160 Hoe Street, E17 4QH
Long-standing, unpretentious local Algerian coffee shop making great coffee from an iconic Italian Elektra coffee machine. Enticing homemade French patisseries and cakes at very reasonable prices – our favourites are the delicious almond eclairs. Special occasion cakes made to order. Behind the scenes with Milo the Baker
- Made in Portugal, 171 Shernhall Street, E17 9HX
Portuguese Deli with a cafe corner and expansive outdoor terrace. Fantastic Pastel de Nata custard tarts and other Portuguese snacks, meals (just ask what’s available as there’s no menu), coffees and great priced beers – a little slice of Lisbon life.
- Sultan, 254 Hoe Street, E17 3AX
Turkish bakery, baklava shop and locantasi near Walthamstow Central. Tempting array of savoury pastries including borek, kofte, lahmacun. Fresh hot Gozleme (stuffed pancakes) with a choice of fillings. Daily stews available in the window.
- Oasis, 152 Hoe Street, E17 4QR
Great coffee and homemade pastries and cakes. Roadside garden terrace for people- watching or air-conditioned interior. Undergoing a refurbishment at the moment to add a bar. One of the cheapest places in the Stow for a latte. Best chocolate croissants.
- Tierra Madre, Walthamstow Central tube station (Selbourne Walk)
Alessandro serves up Italian coffees and the best almond croissants ‘to go’ from his coffee van. Mon-Fri mornings.
- William Morris Gallery tea-room, Lloyd Park, Forest Road, E17 4PP
Tate Modern-style cafe, all glass roof, stainless steel and frothy coffee. But this is in the award-winning museum, in the beautiful Lloyd Park in E17 rather than the South Bank, and all the better for it. Using local food producers. Modern British food, perfect for afternoon tea.
- Wynwood Art District, 2A Chingford Road, E17 4PJ
Freshly made sandwiches, breakfasts and lunches and delicious cakes with a Cypriot influence. Often vegan / gluten / sugar – free options. Great range of specialist coffees and teas. Funky staff, great music, good WiFi, sunny garden. Regular poetry nights and running club. Licensed – range of beers and wine. Pop-ups including supperclubs and art events.